Sunday, May 22, 2011

Creamy Lemon Bars



Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, slightly softened
1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 cup oats
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined.  Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.  Add oats and flour to butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.  Press half of crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8x11 inch pan. 

Mix together condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest.  Spread onto the bottom layer or the crumb mixture.  Top with the other half of the crumb mixture, but don't press. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.  Allow pan to sit on counter for 30 minutes after baking.  Cut into squares and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until cool.  Serve cool. 

From pioneerwoman.com

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Yum! Hey I just found your blog! We also have egg/nut allergies in our house. I've been wanting to try a eggfree lemon bar-- excited to come across your recipe. Can't wait to try it! I've just recently started a blog (eggfreebakery.blogspot.com) sharing our family's recipes. Baking egg free can be challenging sometimes! It's nice to find other people to share tips/recipes with!

Jenny said...

Oh, I was so excited to find this recipe, too. Lemon bars were one of my favorite things before we had to deal with an egg allergy in the family. Funny enough, I actually already follow your blog in Google Reader! I came across it awhile back and thought your recipes looked great! You're a better commenter than I am though. :)